With the first official week of tracking this little novel experiment completed, how have I done? Have I kept up with my goal of writing at least 5000 words per week, or will I have to hide my head in despair? If I do have to hide, can I at least cover my face in a fancy scarf instead of a paper bag?
Let’s look at the numbers:
New Word Count Goal: 5000
Starting Word Count: 20821
Ending Word Count: 26940
Total New Word Count: 6119
Percent Goal Achieved: 122%
As you may have gathered from the above, I enjoy playing with numbers. (And if you are all terribly unlucky, I may start putting graphs, and bar charts, and trend lines in these “Week in Review” posts.) Overall, I’m satisfied with these stats. My work week included preparing for a presentation and traveling, so I spent several days with a fried brain that was in sub-optimal form. Despite all of this, I managed to hit 5000 words by Tuesday, which was a very pleasant surprise. All of that energy from work must have translated into my writing. Unfortunately, I was significantly less productive the rest of the week. (Minor burnout, no doubt.)
Now onward to week 2! Next week’s goal is to write another 5000 new words, so wish me luck.
*Image Attribution: Enfant Ecrivant (c.1860) by Henriette Browne